Human reproduction requires the presence of certain vital minerals & vitamins to ensure a most favorable outcome. Important processes in human reproduction that requires these essential minerals & vitamins include spermatogenesis, oogenesis etc. There is a healthy balanced nutrition that improves the egg health and even that of the sperm. When a woman is over 35 years the quality and quantity of the eggs in her ovaries decreases. This in turn impacts on her fertility. There are certain food substances that that can improve the health of the ovary and the eggs in the ovary. It is therefore important that women, particularly after the age of 35, begin to take fertility diet. A Fertility diet is one that contains essential vitamins & minerals, fats & proteins needed for the adequate functioning of the reproductive system especially the ovaries.
The vitamins and minerals needed for proper functioning of the reproductive system include the following; folic acid, iron, zinc, vitamin A, vitamin E, vitamin C, selenium etc. The following food items should make up our diet to ensure adequate healthy nutrition.
- Meat, Fish, Beans- rich in iron, vitamins & minerals
- Avocados – rich in monounsaturated fats
- Brazil Nuts – rich in selenium, an antioxidant that protects the body from free radicals
- Sesame seeds – rich in zinc and helps in hormone production responsible for optimum egg health
- Berries- antioxidants
- Green leafy vegetables – kale, spinach and other green leafy vegetables rich in manganese, folate, iron, calcium, Vit A.
- Ginger – anti inflammatory food, alleviate reproductive discomfort, promotes healthy cycles and reduce inflammation of the reproductive organs which may impact egg health.
- Maca Root – a super herb containing 31 different minerals and 60 different phytonutrients. It increases sperm & egg health, increase libido and help with hormone balance
- Cinnamon – this spice improves ovarian function and encourage proper egg production by improving insulin resistance
- Complex carbohydrates- whole grains-brown rice, oats, whole meal bread- rich in iron, vitamins & minerals